Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Vegan Lifestyle

Welcome to 2011. It's a new year, a new semester and the perfect time to make new resolutions. If you are having trouble choosing, I'll help you out. How about an improved lifestyle in which you live a life at it's optimum health?

Health is a vital part of every living thing's life. Without good health, there is not life, or at least not for long.

Some people start their year off in the hopes of sticking to a diet and losing weight. However, there is more to health than losing a few pounds. Believe it or not, some of the skinniest people have cholesterol problems. Our body's internal health is just as important — actually more important — than what we look like on the outside.

The only way one can ensure the most healthy life one can possibly have is to go vegan. OK, do not stop reading yet. I know that a vegan lifestyle may sound ridiculous because it is no where close to the norm, but give it a chance, or at least read more about it to educate yourself on the topic.

I did, and now I feel the healthiest I have ever been in my entire 20 years of living. One day last summer, a conversation arose with my best friend about being vegan. Honestly, my initial thought was, "you can't eat anything!" and "how in the world do people actually do this?" I thought that there was no point to it at all.

Ironically, a few weeks later, the book Skinny Bitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, ended up in my hands.

Take my word for it, this book is not as superficial as the title sounds. Freedman and Barnouin define a "skinny bitch" as someone who enjoys food, eats well, and loves their body as a result. It has nothing to do with how much you weigh or what size you are. "Skinny bitches" come in all beautiful shapes and sizes.

 I suggest you read this book. Once you start you won't want to put it down. It's easy reading and won't take up too much time. The day I started reading Skinny Bitch was the day I decided I could never eat meat again.

 After reading about the sketchy ways of the USDA and the horrifying occurrences that take place at slaughter houses, not to mention they are tragically unsanitary, eating for me could never be the same. However, I don't believe anything was taken away from me. In fact, I felt enlightened.

 I hope that by sharing the information that I have learned, I will be able to enlighten others as well.

Becoming a vegan is not as crazy as it's initial impression may sound. Not only will your body thank you, becoming vegan ultimately helps the planet as well. Meat is not green. Slaughterhouses are definitely not green. Soon enough, you will find out why.

 A lot of the time, people look for an easy way out. Although adapting to this sort of lifestyle may seem difficult at first, it is the easiest way and the only way to resolve your new resolution. If you are still reading this than I think it is safe to say that you are sticking to the one that I just made for you, or at least considering it.

Studies show that people who follow a vegan diet even once or twice a week live a healthier life than those who subject their entire lives to eating rotting animal carcasses.

Vegetarianism may sound more attractive to you and can be used as a stepping stone to your resolution. Baby steps are key to becoming a full-fledged vegan. Although, soon enough, you'll want to give up the cheese and milk.

Eventually you start to only crave healthy things. Diets limit your portions. Do not confuse this for a diet. This is way of life that is dedicated to eating healthy and eating right. There is a substitute for everything. I promise you will not be missing out on your favorite foods.

Do yourself a favor, stop counting calories and obsessing over low-carb diets. Just ditch the dairy, forget the fat and say hello to the healthiest person you can be. Continue to read each week for information about vegan friendly recipes, places to shop, clothing, make-up, places to eat, organizations and clubs on campus to get involved with.

As Freedman and Barnouin say, it is time to stop eating crap and start looking (and feeling) fabulous!

As seen in The Central Florida Future.

No comments:

Post a Comment